As many of you know by now, Jessie and I will be sticking around for the next two years as I read for a master's degree in economics. I plan to reapply to UBC and Virginia in a couple of years, but for now I am going to boost my application and spend some time being married.
Something that has been a huge surprise to both of us as we've made this decision is how genuinely glad people have been that we are going to be around. I was a little overwhelmed at the last RUF meeting when a friend came up to me afterwards and said that while I might be a bit disappointed that we're not going anywhere, he is really glad we'll be here. I didn't know what to say. Apparently Jessie has had similar experiences.
How did we get to matter so much to these people? I don't recall any special effort to be a big influence. It's not like I'm indespensible to the elders like Andy, or consistently part of RUF leadership like Annie. I have tried to get to know both the older graduates and the younger students in RUF, but much of that has been little more than knowing people's names. Yet somehow along the way, God has used both of us to impact people's lives, apparently for the better. I'd like for us to be even better at that as a married couple.
So, to all of you who have expressed your appreciation for us in the last few weeks, thank you. It is a joy to know you and be known by you. In the garden of Eden mankind lost the ability to relate properly one to another, so the Christ-centered friendships we have made in the last four years are truly a testament to the victory of King Jesus over the curse. Please build these kinds of relationships with the newcomers to RUF next fall. I think you will find it to be as big a blessing to you as it is to them.
HOW I FEEL WHEN I’M TWO WEEKS OUT FROM QUALS
9 years ago
2 comments:
I'm glad you're going to be here.
That makes two blogs I made it on today! I'm movin' up in the world.
Post a Comment