I have several friends, and one in particular, who are pursuing careers in the humanities, so this article caught my attention. Apparently, academics of the humanitarian bent don't enjoy being told their job prospects are not good:
Apparently, though my program is excellent, I will be among the snookered, vagabond English adjunct scholars milling around the countryside, doomed to a life of the vicissitudes of enrollment and discretionary spending. Or, more likely, I will pursue my second career choice: swamp hermit. I will scream my Lacanian analyses at unsuspecting families hiking through my territory. There will be some dignity in my bog.Did you notice the academic/humanities vocabulary? To thine own self be true, unemployed scholar.
The main thrust of the article is that graduate students need to broaden their horizons beyond professorships at research universities (and that departments and advisors should be more encouraging of those who pursue these paths). The author very much wants PhDs to be applying to jobs in public schools and nonprofit organizations. Even more than that, though, the author wants those offering guidance to warmly say:
Yeah, you're all screwed in terms of work for a research institution, but there are these other things out there that are great options. Your degree is not useless, and you are doing valuable work.The problem with this, of course, is that there is little reason for getting a PhD in a humanities field to do a nonacademic job. Public schools and nonprofits would be equally well served by those with a masters degree (or less), so the extra investment in the dissertation is essentially wasted effort. Despite the desires of the author, for the positions she is describing her degree is precisely useless. Not that she wants pity:
We, the humanities graduate students of the United States of America, do not want your pity, or your smug, self-congratulatory admonishments of our choices. What we want is your help formulating a path that will lead us into careers where we can be useful, not exploited.I think she fails to realize that most commentators aren't admonishing or offering pity. They are trying their hardest to do exactly as she asks. The path to a useful career for most in the humanities is to stop sinking more time into a dissertation that will not avail them; "avoid the sunk cost fallacy" might be the best advice they can get.
Now, I don't want to be too down on graduate work in the humanities. I think there will always be a demand for teachers in these areas for consumption and signaling reasons (as an aside, I find that I've only blogged about these functions of university in passing commentary before. Perhaps I should discuss them in more detail?). For foreign language studies, there may even be some productivity gains due to learning Spanish or Chinese or even Italian that result. As such, I think there is certainly a place for academic pursuit of these disciplines, especially at the best departments. But in general I find it's not a good idea to try for the terminal degree unless you are willing to make some major sacrifices for your love of the discipline. If you've spent a couple of years working on a degree and you don't absolutely love it, poverty and all, do yourself a favor and drop out. You can prove your worth to society in some better way, and without spending years of your life hating it.
14 comments:
I still think that the humanities is (or at least could be) a repository for virtue formation and deep thinking about the big questions of life.
In this ideal situation, the PhD in the humanities would enter the workforce better able to think about some sociological and externalities questions that can't be answered simply by cost-to-benefit calculations.
In theory...
An interesting interpretation. What "sociological and externalities questions" did you have in mind? The key in my mind is that the workforce would have to be willing to pay a premium for this enhanced ability to think virtuously; otherwise the value-added to the scholar's thinking skills won't outweigh the costs of acquiring them.
None of this precludes studying the humanities for the pleasure of it, of course. But I don't think it makes sense to say you're improving what you have to offer the market if nobody wants to buy these skills. I guess it all comes down to what the author means when she says "you are doing valuable work."
Well, right now it's kind of hard to say.
Ever since Clark Kerr put his ideas into practice at UC Berkeley right after World War II, universities have been moving towards becoming the engines of economic growth instead of what they were before.
So given the current economy and structures, it's hard to imagine how the old model could be implemented nowadays.
And as you note, many people are uninterested in values that the market can't recognize immediately.
So just take the word "visionary". When does a leader become "visionary" and how do we know it? I posit that a solid traditional humanities education can help make a leader "visionary" but that the results of his actions may not be seen until long after his (or her) tenure.
Anyone can maximize margins and be a cog in a wheel, but to understand how complex systems work together and to think about the human elements of those systems and to navigate tricky issues virtuously but competitively are a different thing.
By as I noted before, I don't think the humanities as they currently exist provide this sort of formation.
Yeah, counterproductive as it may be for me to say so, I don't think that most people want what University humanities have to sell. Most people who go to college for a reason do so to get jobs, and deep attention to the literature of the past is not a terribly efficient means of doing that. Of course there are other perks - flexibility, a certain amount of cultural capital - but still.
Although for (let us say) Doctors of Philosophy in Italian there are still close to enough jobs to go around (at any rate, to go around the top twenty percent), that isn't going to last forever.
Joel, I agree with your last statement, and I think foreign language programs have a stronger case for adding to productivity than most other humanities departments.
That said, I think it would be interesting to have a more complete discussion of what humanities departments would have to do in order to better prepare "visionaries" while still selling a product students want to buy. I'll add it to the pipeline of topics.
Not to give away too much of my own views, but I think it involves humanities courses giving failing grades to far, far more students than they currently do.
Well, the "visionary" part was only an example.
Let's just take the idea that the humanities should provide all students the opportunity to contemplate what it is that makes us human. As part of this they should debate the big questions and develop their understanding of history, philosophy, literature, and ethics.
A student who goes through a series of classes in the humanities should not only learn something clearly marketable like speaking another language, but also develop an ethical conscience and an ability to think critically and an understanding of his or her place in the grand story of human history.
Society would be better in the grand scheme of things, but it would be hard to quantify exactly how. I mentioned "visionaries" only because I think that someone with a good background in the humanities can be a great leader. Try imagining an ignoramus Churchill if that helps.
So in an ideal circumstance, shouldn't a student's ethical conscience be developed before coming to university?
And I would hardly characterize Churchill as an ignoramus if he had been forced to study something vulgar like psychology or economics. I would think the greatest humanitarian leaders would study history and great literature on their own whether they had the humanities as support or not, don't you?
Yes, but perhaps capped off and refined to a high degree at the university (particularly in relation to sciences, technology, business, etc.)...in our ideal world.
Sure, but the academy should serve as a resource for those who want to learn either in the university or through their books. (Contrast this motivation with the get a job/get tenure that drives most academic publication these days).
Norman, by that logic we pretty much shouldn't have any schools, because anybody who really wants to learn anything can do it on his own.
Incidentally, I'm not sure I buy "universal human values" as a worthwhile pursuit. Humanism managed to slide along for a while, precisely until the "puckish Parisians" started asking it difficult questions. Under any kind of close interrogation it either decloaks as Christianity or Stoicism, or else into having no ethics at all.
(oh, and I was referring to your comment about a youthful Churchill picking up the Classics as a psych major)
Joel, I think we could make a pretty straightforward case that most people need teachers if they are to learn things like statistics, calculus, physics, chemistry, Italian, and arguably things like computer programming and economics. It's less obvious to me that a teacher is necessary to insure that someone knows how to read a text or which texts to read, although I'm not ruling this idea out.
Of course, this only addresses the productivity motive for getting an education. Consumption and signaling are at least as important, in my view.
Joel, I'd love to hear what you think humanities should be providing (so far all we know is that it's not "universal human values").
http://chronicle.com/article/In-Praise-of-Tough-Criticism/65831
The university could also embrace real dialogue and debate...
Norman,
What in (say) economics could I not learn if I had the intelligence, the motivation, and a well-stocked library? Reading texts is the whole game. It's just a question of which texts. (I might except the experimental sciences and spoken languages.) I doubt that Churchill's generation would have known much at all about Pliny and Tacitus had it not been for the prior generation's schoolmasters - and their canes. (Which, incidentally, is why no-one, visionary or otherwise, knows anything about them now.)
I think humanities departments (by which I actually mean "universities", because from my own blinkered perspective, if the goal of your degree is mere signalling you've actually been at trade school) should pursue truth and knowledge, which is to say, ultimately, Christianity. I also think (somewhat impolitically) that they should be a very great deal smaller than they are. I think there should be more straightforward ways to get a job than proving you can wake up punctually and submit essays on demand for four or six years; in the meantime, I think that people who are genuine scholars should be left to do scholarship with libraries (or laboratories as applicable) and some kind of living.
Now there is a separate question as to why anyone would want to pay for this. (In all frankness, I am not sure why anyone pays for it now. Probably out of pity, or in order to have buildings named after oneself.) But I think they *should* pay for it - "it" being my idea, not the Gen. Ed. requirement farm we have now - because it is useful to society to have learned persons who have the leisure to meditate on beauty (s.p., natch) in all its various disguises, and the wit to communicate it to everyone else.
Post a Comment