Truth Claim of the Day

We are at the beginning of the Death of Credentials. The ROI [Return On Investment] for 95% of college educations will be negative.
Please, discuss. The context is here. I'm particularly interested in the thoughts of those who are currently or plan to eventually be teaching at the post-secondary level.

2 comments:

8/20/2010 3:31 AM ChrisSchaef said...

The ROI may be negative, but cliques and cartels have a habit of protecting themselves regardless of economic facts.

8/23/2010 5:51 AM Anonymous said...

I think he's probably spot-on. If you are going to college as mere signalling, and everybody gets to go to college, then it will swiftly become an ineffective signal.

My hope is that when this blows over, the fraction of students who do value the life of the mind - the actual students, in my view - will see fit to employ me. Otherwise, I suppose I'll have to open a cafe or get a real job.

 

© Metadoxy
Revolution Elements by Blozard. Original WP theme by Jason Schuller | Distributed by Deluxe Templates