I went to see The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe at the premier, but am only now getting around to commenting on it. And really, what could I say? The work of the filmmakers was good, which is to say the screen expressed beauty, honesty, fear, joy, peace, and above all longing. I long to be guided to the camp of the King by a creature, like myself, lowly and faithful; and to stand with my brothers and sisters at the tent when the Lion steps out to meet us, face to face. I long to bend the knee on that great day.
But something that moved me much more than I expected was the coming of Father Christmas. What does the coming of Father Christmas mean?
Standing in the snow, with a hand on his sleigh and his warm breath visible in the muted sunlight, Father Christmas is an angel of hope. His brow is wrinkled, weathered with struggle and waiting. She has kept him back a long time, a long time. For 100 years there has been the Witch's winter, always winter but never Christmas. But as surely as Father Christmas stands before the children, this winter belongs not the the queen of narnia, but to the King. Aslan's thaw has begun. As he visits the woodland creatures, I can imagine him saying something like this:
My dearest of friends, welcome. For all these years she has kept me back, but now the time is at hand. Take these gifts, to celebrate with joy the coming of the Lion to His land. These icy drifts can not muzzle Him, nor shall any craft of the witch. Aslan will seat his kings and queens at Cair Paravel. Tell it too all the woodland creatures; to driads and niads, and all manner of dwarf; shout to all the mountains and lands and stars from here to Aslan's Country: Happy Christmas to all, in the name of Aslan the true King!
That is why I was made weak at the sight of Father Christmas. His presence describes where we are right now, where I am. I cannot see him, and much snow still lays upon the earth. But the Lion, who is not tame, yet is so very good, the Maker of Kings and bringer of the thaw, has come at long last.
0 comments:
Post a Comment