One of the strengths of the blogging medium is the ability, long withheld from authors of all persuasions, of posing a question in print, and actually receiving an answer. Taking advantage of this capability, I am posting a series of (at least to me) thought-provoking questions, in the hopes that anyone reading this blog will offer their perspective. This is post #6 in the series, and likely the last for a while.
Again looking over the World Question Center, I came across an idea that seems exceptionally dangerous to scientific thought, if only because it requires a reshaping of what science thinks it is doing.
Marcelo Gleiser, Physicist, Dartmouth College
What are the limits of knowledge? Are there questions that science can never answer? This got me thinking about the work of my friend Josh Seachris, who is writing his philosophy dissertation on ultimate questions and the necessity of narrative. Can stories answer questions that science never can?
HOW I FEEL WHEN I’M TWO WEEKS OUT FROM QUALS
9 years ago
3 comments:
There is something about story that is so much more powerful than an equation or a graph. Yes, science can be elegant and beautiful, wonderful and thought-provoking, but there is little chance it will move you to tears. Science cannot prove things (but it sure has heck can disprove things). Any way, story and science occupy different realms. There is crossover, and that is where things get interesting.
very interesting stuff.
thanks for the post.
I kinda like that. I hate it when people think they'll understand everything given enough time and effort.
Post a Comment