So, at this point you may have noticed the new header image. I enjoy estate pipes (my collection is currently sitting at 15 pipes), and this particular one, the latest addition, has a fascinating story behind it.
You see, this pipe is around 200 years old. Inside the bowl there is a note that reads as follows:
'this Pipe was given to my grandfather (born 1811) William Sonnschein, and he said it was given him by his grandfather so that would make this pipe at least 150 years old (in 1910)
Frank Eckert --- grandson of William Sonnschein
Note initials on silver lid "A.S"'
I received this pipe as a gift from my wife's grandmother, who had received it from her grandfather, Frank Eckert. According to the note, he received it from his grandfather William Sonnschein, who received it from his own grandfather (presumably the "A.S." of the initials). So while I don't quite follow the math that dates the pipe to the 1760s, it's still been in the family since Jessie's great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather. Which is pretty great.
So I'd seen this at Jessie's grandmother's house before, and I was an instant fan. She's been downsizing her possessions, and I jokingly told her that if no one had spoken for the pipe I'd throw my name in. I felt kinda bad when she actually decided to give it to me, as I had sort of thought she would want to keep it as decoration until she dies (I know I would). But at this point I'm just grateful. It might be the oldest thing we own (I have a couple of ill-repaired 19th century Bibles, and one of them was published in 1811), and is definitely the piece I would take with me to the Antiques Roadshow. It's similar in shape to the Hungarian meerschaum-style metal pile found here (3rd down), although the lid is simpler on the Sonnschein pipe. It's simply classy, which is how we role at Metadoxy.
By the way, all photos, including the header, were taken by the magnificent and ever-professional Jessie. For more examples of her handiwork, check out here Etsy shop.
5 comments:
Wow that is really cool! I must confess that I may be a bit jealous!
Hey, no photo credits?
Technically...I think Frank Eckert was Gramps' uncle, since Gramps' name was Conrad...
Maybe that would help the math some?
Frank wasn't Gramps' dad?
I just looked it up in Gramps' memoirs: Herman Eckert (born 1871) was Gramps' dad.
According to the memoir August Sonnschein was born in Germany ca 1760. Next known was August's grandson, William (whose painting Grandear has) born 1811 (Gramps' great Grandfather). He and his wife, Marie, came to USA (Missouri) in 1854. Their daughter, Wilhemina, married Conrad Eckert (born 1812), Gramps' grandfather, for whom he was named.
Gramps' dad, Herman, had two older brothers: William and Frank.
Ta Dah!
Post a Comment