In anticipation of going on the job market late this fall, I'm planning to make a few upgrades. In particular, I need to get a computer that will allow me to work while traveling, an expansion of my professional wardrobe, and new shoes. I'm thinking of going a bit crazy on all counts.
Computer
I've been doing some looking around, and the main computers I'm considering right now are as follows:
Toshiba Mini NB305-N410
ASUS Eee PC 1001P
Any tips or comments on these or other models with similar specs & price range would be appreciated.
Wardrobe
I need to get a couple suits for my job market interviews at the AEA meetings in January. I want to really convey my competence, but let people know I'm still fun. Maybe I should get something like these:
This is The Doctor.
Doctor? Doctor who?
My wife favors the three-piece suit, though. We'll see where I end up on this. (As an aside, I'd take that overcoat if it comes in my length, too. I'm a fan of outerwear.)
Shoes
My current pair (yes, I usually own one pair of every-day shoes at a time) have gotten pretty worn in the sole. For as long as I can remember I've either worn all-white shoes or all-black shoes (except for one pair of brown shoes my wife talked me into), and always with a (partially) leather upper.
I'm thinking of really changing it up and getting something like these:
I will probably not wear them to the job interviews. Probably.






5 comments:
Three-piece suit! Three-piece suit! Three-piece suit!
I love the Doctor, but even he would look better in a three-piece suit.
a huge YES on the Converse
Of the mini-laptops you listed, the best choice is the HP Mini 5102, the worst choice would be the Asus Eee PC (But only because it has a single mouse button instead of two).
The main reasons for this are that the HP Mini has the longest battery life, crushing the competition with over 10 hours. The hard drive is faster, which means that it will boot quicker and access files a little faster. And the main point, is that the keyboard is all one solid rubber material, which makes it spill resistant, almost a requirement if you use it while at the coffee shop.
The worst thing about the HP Mini is the price, but since you listed it among the others, I do not think you are worried about that.
Also: If you DO get the HP Mini, NEVER use the built in handle, unless you want to look like an absolute tool.
Your friendly neighborhood tall geek,
David
Fascinating that each commenter latched on to a different product category.
Jessie, we'll just see when I go shopping in a couple months.
SS, we'll have to see. I've never tried them, so I don't even know if I'd find them comfortable.
David, the HP I am looking at has a price tag of $415, which means I'm looking at the 4-cell battery, not the 6. If I want to customize, for some reason this automatically adds over $100 to the price on HP's website, and is thus not an option.
Also, I'm not as worried about the single mouse button now that I know you can triple-click to get the right-click menu. It is less than ideal, though.
With these facts in mind, does your expert ranking change?
Even so, I would go with the HP. You may not have a problem with that single button crap now, but when you get the laptop, you may have a different opinion.
Post a Comment