Speculative Fiction?

WANTED: Interdisciplinary Starship Pilot
Robin Hanson wonders about what kids are learning. In particular, are students focusing too much on their own disciplines, consequently losing the ability to think in an interdisciplinary fashion? Are students losing their ability to deal with deeper, meta- questions?  And, as Hanson brings up, if they are is this necessarily a bad thing?
I’d like to believe that we are in fact doing our students and the nation a disservice by marginalizing such skills. Unfortunately, I simply have little evidence with which to support such a judgment. [...] Just how many people should be thinking about what problems are important and why?
Bryan Caplan wonders where new jobs are really going to come from (he originally mused on this topic back in July). This time he considers Scott Sumner's answers:
Here's what I think most people still want:
1.  A bigger and nicer house, with granite counter-tops.
2.  More restaurant meals.
3.  More fun vacations.
That means we need more construction workers, and granite miners (quarriers?)  We need more cooks and waiters.  We need more hotel receptionists and maids.  More people to work on Carnival cruise ships.  I think our workforce is skilled enough to fill those jobs. 
I'd love to hear some reader thoughts and predictions on these topics. What will the jobs of the future be? And what sort of schooling will students need to do them? Should we be devoting more of our wealth to interdisciplinary schooling and liberal arts, and if so is the reason for business or pleasure?

0 comments:

 

© Metadoxy
Revolution Elements by Blozard. Original WP theme by Jason Schuller | Distributed by Deluxe Templates