Recipe #01

I don't believe I've ever given cooking advice on this blog before. For those who don't know, I really enjoy cooking. I don't have as much time for it as I'd like, but every once in a while I like to make really fun dishes.

One that I've really learned to appreciate is brown rice. Now, the first time I made brown rice, I followed the instructions on the bag. Disgusting stuff, some of the worst food I've had. I assumed that since brown rice is ridiculously good for you, bad texture and unappealing flavor were required. However, I have since learned how to make a flavorful, fluffy, nutritious side that goes with almost any meal. It's not fast (about 1 hour from start to serving), but if you've got the time, it's worth it.

Brown Rice Recipe

Serves 2 - 4 (depending on portions)
Ingredients: 1 cup uncooked brown rice, 2.5 cups water, approx. 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, coconut or olive oil, salt
Equipment: toaster oven w/ tray, big pot

First, rinse the rice thoroughly in warm water. Make sure the rice is soaked through. Next, lay out the rice on the toaster oven tray. Spread the sesame seeds out on top. Toast the rice at approximately 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

When the rice has just a couple minutes left, put the water in the big pot and bring it to a boil. pour a small amount of oil into the water. Once the rice is toasted, take it out of the oven and pour it immediately into the boiling water. If it's going well, your kitchen should be filled with a nutty, sesame smell, and the rice will make a nice fluffing sound when it hits the water. Even out the rice on the bottom of the pot and cover. Reduce the heat to a low boil and leave it on the heat for 30 minutes. You can add salt after about 15 minutes if you like (the salt is optional, it will still be good without it).

Once the timer goes off, move the rice off of the heat, but do not lift the lid! That part cannot be stressed enough. Leave the rice covered for at least 5 minutes, but not more than 10. When you take the lid off, use whatever you prefer to lift and fluff the rice / sesame seed mixture. Serve.

This is, I promise, a tasty tasty dish. It tends to dry up a bit when reheated, but is OK the next day. I recommend serving with grated white cheese on top.

2 comments:

10/23/2008 10:30 PM schupack said...

whoa, that sounds amazing. I'll have to try it. Is it sticky? I can't help but prefer my rice to be sticky, which is why I eat white

10/24/2008 7:44 AM Jessie said...

You forgot to mention that substituting chicken broth for some of the water is acceptable, tasty, and nutritious.

 

© Metadoxy
Revolution Elements by Blozard. Original WP theme by Jason Schuller | Distributed by Deluxe Templates