Every economist on the blogosphere seems to be offering an opinion on the health care reform bill. I'd be happy to give some general opinions if you are interested, but I tend to favor Tyler Cowen's recent comment:
I recall the passage from Herodotus, where he writes of a group (I can't remember which one) which debates all major policy issues both sober and drunk, both reasonably and full of irresponsible passion. That's not my personal model, nor do I wish to see it in the comments. So I'll wait just a wee bit, and let others get both their celebrating and hand-wringing out of their systems...So instead of offering my own rantings on the subject, here are some links providing the thoughts of economists whose opinions I listen to. I don't agree with all of them, but I think they're all worth hearing out if you care about this issue.
Paul Krugman on the surprise political win for the Democrats
Greg Mankiw on libertarian versus communitarian goals
Jodi Beggs gives an even handed (and thorough!) opinion
James Hamilton talks about the purpose of health care reform
Bryan Caplan chimes in
Rick Saenz (thanks for the link, Kelly P.) would like everyone to get a little perspective
UPDATE: A Point and Counterpoint on the bill at Economics and Ethics.
0 comments:
Post a Comment