Communism is to modern liberalism roughly what racism is to modern conservatism. Conservatives claim to be free of racism and progressives claim to oppose communism, but both groups have a lot of skeletons in their closets.Please, discuss. The context can be found here.
HOW I FEEL WHEN I’M TWO WEEKS OUT FROM QUALS
9 years ago
2 comments:
Sure. I think it's true.
American conservatives and American liberals are both coalitions, and coalitions have partners that aren't always as desirable as you might like.
The conservatism I grew up with wasn't racist. I assumed all conservatism had moved past that in the 1960s and 1970s. I know now it hasn't completely, but that's mainly in a few states in the South (and maybe some urban areas all over?)
Some American liberals were too close to Mao and Stalin perhaps, but not all were.
Yeah, the idea of an ideological coalition having "skeletons in the closet" always struck me as a little batty. It boils down to arguing that agreeing with Marxist philosophy makes the notion of Ukranians eating somehow intolerable.
It only makes marginally more sense when applied to blood relatives.
Post a Comment