New York Times Easter Sunday Believability Edition
In a way, the doubts that modern religious believers harbor about the resurrection of the dead may reflect, not the triumph of rationalism over supernaturalism, but an odd symbiosis between the two.[...] People today may disbelieve in the resurrection of the dead, in other words, not because it’s too fantastic, but because it doesn’t seem fantastic enough.Please, discuss. The context can be found here.
1 comments:
I'm glad I read the whole article. I'm impressed by his accurate description of what I and others believe about physical redemption. As he says, it's not a common belief, so I was surprised to see it in the NY Times.
After reading the quote in context, I guess it could make sense. So many people believe in a god who is purely spiritual, unapproachable, etc, that the resurrection could seem kind of... dirty. The virgin birth as well, I suppose. In fact, if your god is like the Deist or Gnostic god, then you'd probably want to take Jesus out the god equation all together. Great guy, but not God. That'd be too gross. Which, of course, is the best part -- it *is* gross. We're gross. Life is gross. And Jesus came to fix it.
Post a Comment